Monday, July 5, 2010

Slam Dunk

As told by Melissa... We all know that Pastor Jamie is ready to put us to work. It turns out the same spirit of employment is working here in Ireland! Sunday morning started with a wonderful time of praise and prayer with the staff of Open Arms Community Churh -all the workers for youth, children's, worship and morning service.


I had the privilege of attending their children's church. The worship team for the kids' service was so energetic and we transitioned into the song "Your Name", the Spirit of God was so strong. Their children are a mix of two primary ethnic groups -Caucasian Irish and African, who emigrated or whose parents emigrated. It was beyond beautiful to watch a perfect blending of two very different cultures as they came together to praise God. As we hit the chorus of the song, I saw the words "Your name, let the nations sing it louder" enacted before me. As God shows himself strong and mighty in this church, a shelter to those in need, and the nations very literally unite to sing His praise every time the doors are open.


After worship, offering (which they call Slam Dunk!), and a game, the kids split up into what we would call connect groups by age. One of the teachers, named Praise, asked if I would like to help with her class (kids between 8 & 9 years old). I joined about 14 kids for their story about Gideon. After the lesson, the kids had questions for me and about America -if I have ever seen the President, what countries I have visited, about where I live and more. They were so excited for kid's camp and to get to know more about us Americans. We've been encouraged to focus on the individual child, and I can't wait for the friendships made to grow throughout the week!


Melissa

1 comment: